Building an ADU in Omaha
Transit Oriented Development (Blue Area)
- Check Douglas Omaha - GIS to see current zoning of parcel.
- Contact Planning Department Help Desk - (402)-444-8001 x2063 and ask questions.
- Set up a pre-application meeting (optional) - A meeting with planners from different divisions that will help you and give you guidance about next steps to meet requirements.
- Submit application to the Planning Department for an Urban Design Site Plan Review (Section 55 - 937) - The plan will be reviewed against applicable regulations for TOD districts outlined in OMC Sections 55-570 through 55-578.
- Submit application to the Planning Department to re-zone property to TOD and for a Conditional Use Permit for the Accessory Dwelling Use. These applications will go together to the Planning Board but only the rezoning is forwarded on to City Council. This process will generally take a minimum of 2.5 - 3 months from the time the application is submitted.
- Submit Application to acquire a conditional use permit - Must be approved by Planning Board.
Accessory Apartments - Section 55 - 763 (Red Area)
- Check Douglas Omaha - GIS to see current zoning of parcel. The use of this code section for accessory apartments (interior or exterior) requires that 50% of residents in a given area petition for the creation of a district to allow them. The minimum size of the area is one block face. Before contacting the Planning Department, it would be best for a resident interested in using this code section to talk to neighbors in the area to gauge support for the creation of such a district.
- Contact Planning Department Help Desk - (402)-444-8001 x2063 and ask questions
- Set up a pre-application meeting (optional) - A meeting with planners from different divisions that will help you and give you guidance about next steps to met requirements
- Obtain petition of 50% of residents in "area"
- Submit petition and Site Plan to City Council - Council must pass an ordinance (not a special use permit) permitting accessory apartments within a designated area
- Must obtain an accessory apartment permit from the Permits and Inspections division prior to the occupancy of the apartment
Two Family Dwelling Units - Section 55 - 43 (Green Area)
Allowed only in AG, DR, R1, R1, R3, and R4 zoning districts
Two-family residential: The use of a site for two dwelling units, each occupied by one family, each in a separate building, excluding a mobile home unit.
- Permitted in R5, R6, R7, R8 Zoning Districts.
- Minimum Lot area shall be 8,000 square ft.
- Minimum lot width shall be 60 ft.
- The second dwelling unit shall be located to the rear of the site and shall be separated from the front dwelling unit by a minimum of 25 feet.
- Shall be served by a paved driveway at least 10 ft in width.